[cma-l] opportunities or threats - the new government agenda for media....

Julian Mellor julian at 2md.co.uk
Thu May 20 10:56:05 BST 2010

opportunities or threats - the new government agenda....

http://programmeforgovernment.hmg.gov.uk

Culture, Olympics, media and sport

We will maintain the independence of the BBC, and give the National
Audit Office full access to the BBC’s accounts to ensure transparency.

We will enable partnerships between local newspapers, radio and
television stations to promote a strong and diverse local media
industry.

we will consider using the part of the TV licence fee that is
supporting the digital switchover to fund broadband in areas that the
market alone will not reach.

Also:

We will examine the case for moving to a ‘gross profits tax’ system
for the National Lottery, and reform the National Lottery so that more
money goes into sport, the arts and heritage.

We will cut red tape to encourage the performance of more live music.