[cma-l] National Lottery to give more cash for arts, sport and heritage

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed May 19 16:05:29 BST 2010

Sport, the arts and heritage are to get more National Lottery funding,
under plans announced by new Culture Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Less would go to the Big Lottery Fund, which supports other kinds of projects.

Mr Hunt said he wanted the fund to focus on community and voluntary
groups instead of being used by ministers as a "pot of money to dip
into".

In his first speech in the role, he said he wanted to "get the Lottery
back to how it was originally conceived".

Speaking at arts venue The Roundhouse, in North London, the
Conservative frontbencher said he wanted the proportion of cash paid
to the Big Lottery Fund to drop from 50% of lottery funding to 40%.

At the same time the 16.7% which currently goes to arts, heritage and
sport would increase to 20%, under the proposed legislation, which
would come into force after the 2012 Olympics.

He said arts and heritage would ultimately benefit by £50m a year each
from changes to the share of cash allocated to them.

Changes would be done in stages with arts, heritage and sport
receiving an increase to 18% in 2011-12 and then 20% the following
year.

He said: "The lottery was set up to fund grassroots initiatives, not
as a pot of money for ministers to dip into. At times like this it is
even more important to the arts, heritage and sports sectors which is
why I am wasting no time in making these changes.

"And, because I want to see a rise in the amount going to voluntary
and community organisations, I will make sure that funds to that
sector are protected with the Big Lottery fund focusing its support
exclusively on that sector."

The Conservatives have long claimed money for the National Lottery's
four "good causes" has been diverted to fund government priorities
like health and education - something firmly denied by the previous
Labour government which claimed the Tories wanted to cut aid for
voluntary groups.

Mr Hunt also outlined plans to increase philanthropic giving to the
arts through a shake-up of gift aid.

And he suggested a possible extension of the acceptance in lieu
scheme, which allows people to offer items of cultural and historical
importance to the State in full or part payment of their inheritance
tax, capital transfer tax or estate duty.

He also sought to reassure arts sponsors and donors that organisations
could be given longer-term funding deals, amid concern that the arts
will be in the firing line when the new government outlines plans to
slash public spending.

In his speech, Mr Hunt said he wanted to see a mixed economy of public
and private support for the arts.

He also vowed to keep free admission to national museums and galleries
- and said access to high quality arts for as many people as possible
would underpin future policy and there would be no politicisation of
funding decisions.

The new culture secretary said: "I am totally passionate about the
arts and culture in this country.

"For me culture is not just about the jobs in the creative industries,
not just about its economic impact, and not just about the thing
that's enjoyed by the millions who go to the cinema, theatre and
concerts every week, or visit our museums and galleries.

"Rather, it's what defines us as a civilised nation. It helps us
understand the world around us, explain it and sometimes escape from
it - and we are all the better for it."

There will be a three month consultation on the proposed changes in
the way Lottery cash is handed out, which need to be approved by the
House of Commons and the House of Lords.

Story from BBC NEWS:

\\\

http://photo365.commedia.org.uk
Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5