[cma-l] Jeremy Hunt MP confirmed as Secretary of State for Culture, Olympics, Media and Sport

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed May 12 19:47:08 BST 2010

Dear all

Our agenda will definitely include the following:

Making the case for an increase in the Community Radio Fund, through
(smallish) contributions from other government departments), on the
basis that every £1 spent on community radio saves the government at
least £2 from other spending sources

Making the case for the facilitation of community television on Freeview

Arguing that the best use of any underspend on the Digital Switchover
Help Scheme ( which is NOT topslicing the BBC as it does not fund any
of the BBC's programme making or other direct activities) would be to
commit a major part of that to the development of community media in
the UK

Reminding the new government that it is a signatory to both the
European Parliament and the Council of Europe resolutions urging
governments to recognise the role of community media in civil society
- through direct and indirect funding and support

Arguing to ensure that the growth of community media (radio, TV and
internet based projects) is recognised, valued and funded in
appropriate ways, through appropriate funding and spectrum allocation
policies (including power transmission issues for those of you
fighting pirate radio)

Let us know if we have missed anything you would like us to put forward

Best wishes

Jaqui

Director, Community Media Association