[cma-l] Event - Community Organising: what contribution local online? - London - 2 July 2010 - 3-5 p.m. - then E-Democracy pub gathering

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Thu Jun 24 15:42:51 BST 2010

I've blogged a whole week of UK activities that start next Tuesday:
http://blog.e-democracy.org/posts/887

In terms of “what’s new” and exciting since my last UK visit - note
the emerging digital inclusion lessons from our Inclusive Social Media
efforts in lower income, high immigrant neighborhoods:
http://e-democracy.org/inclusion

I hope to build connections so we can leverage our current Ford
Foundation funding with partners in the UK to build on and adapt these
lessons so local e-democracy can become far more inclusive and useful
to everyday people. This blog post on a PewInternet.org survey puts
number to huge divide in "Neighbors Online"  that we must close:
http://blog.e-democracy.org/posts/858

Please pass this on to others in the UK you think would be interested.

Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org
http://stevenclift.com

P.S. Big thanks to Kevin Harris and Hugh Flouch for organizing the
July 2 event and to the Guardian's Activate conference for the keynote
invitation on July 1 which is getting me over the pond:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/activate

Register at:
http://commorgandlocalonline.eventbrite.com

Community Organising: what contribution local online?

Friday, July 02, 2010 from 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM (GMT)
London, United Kingdom

Event Details

What are the policy and practice implications of stimulating local
online activity? What are the winning arguments for policy makers to
support active citizens and community development workers in getting
local sites set up and buzzing? And what would practitioners have to
do to make stuff happen?

This Networked Neighbourhoods roundtable gives us the chance to hear
about the unmatched experience of Steven Clift, who sparked interest
in ‘e-democracy’ back in 1994 and has been busy working on the local
implications ever since. Steven will be sharing his considerable
expertise in community building online.

We will also take the opportunity to share some early findings from
the ongoing London's Digital Neighbourhoods study; and in discussion
we will try to align this material with the community organising and
civic involvement aspects of the Big Society agenda.

The discussion will be chaired by Emer Coleman, London Alliances
Project Director at the GLA.
Short presentations from:

US e-democracy pioneer Steven Clift, founder of e-democracy.org, on a
rare visit to London.
Hugh Flouch / Kevin Harris, Networked Neighbourhoods, reporting on
early findings from the London's Digital Neighbourhoods study.

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
 Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.Org
 Follow me - http://twitter.com/democracy
 New Tel: +1.612.234.7072