[cma-l] Celebrated filmmaker becomes first patron of community cinema movement

Tamar Millen tamar.millen at commedia.org.uk
Thu Jun 10 18:34:45 BST 2010

Celebrated filmmaker becomes first patron of community cinema movement

The British Federation of Film Societies (BFFS) has announced that
award-winning film director Ken Loach will make history for the community
cinema movement as he becomes the organisation’s first patron.

BFFS is the national agency for the provision of advice and support to the
film society and community cinema sector in the UK. It supports the
development of community cinema, provides national representation and
advocacy, and promotes public education in and about film via community
screenings.

“We are thrilled to welcome Ken Loach as our first patron,” said Donna
Anton, BFFS chair. “Needless to say, Ken’s films command a huge respect
within our sector. For more than 60 years, BFFS has provided an unparalleled
service to both its members and the public, and we continue to lobby
tirelessly on behalf of the community cinema movement. Recent funding cuts
mean BFFS will undertake a high-profile fundraising campaign to sustain and
develop the organisation. Ken’s support will help raise awareness of BFFS
and the important work that it does for the sector.”