[cma-l] Radio Scrappage Amnesty? A better idea....

F a r i dontzzzthroughit at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 2 15:05:51 BST 2010

Following on from our discussions on the future of FM radio and how it will impact community stations when the government sell of the airwaves to businesses - all of their work is reliant on the success of digital radio sales, is it not, hence the misleadingly titled "amnesty" launched by the BBC?

Increasingly I am seeing people turn to internet radio in the home. I feel we should respond (which it is perfectly within our right to do) by actively promoting the sales of internet radio receivers instead. With USB players and radio recorders, that allow you take your favourite radio shows on the road to listen to, at around £8 surely the future is in the diversity and the personalisation of internet radio?

Look at this wireless or cable internet radio receiver. For £61.99 you can listen to thousands of stations from all over the world without turning on your PC, tune it like a traditional radio, record your favourite shows onto the USB, use remote control, and play any audio files of your own.

Faced with the choice between this and the price of a digital radio, which by comparison offers limited choice, I'm sure the internet could take over digital radio altogether.

Fari sound