[cma-l] watching and observing with interest

Gary Jackson gary.jackson at skyline.fm
Tue Jul 27 18:22:00 BST 2010

On 27/07/2010 16:39, Tam Curry wrote:
> I don't think it's correct to draw a parallel between a small
> commercial station manager and a community station manager - from
> where I'm sitting the roles couldn't be more different. The day to day
> management of an FM broadcast (if we were indeed holders of a CR
> licence - maybe one day) would surely still play second fiddle to the
> support, development and encouragement of local people who are
> involved in running the station, who may well have issues and face
> barriers to this kind of activity (that is, at least, our ethos).

Thanks Tam.

I didn't mean to suggest that stations that don't pay anyone are not
doing their bit in and for the local community.

At Skyline where I am a volunteer we have had a succession of people in
the last couple of years being trained in all sorts of media subjects
and a regular show presented by a variety of disabled people, all
trained at the station mainly by volunteers, or by members paid on an ad
hoc hourly basis rather than the salary type payment being used at other
stations.

Gary