[cma-l] FM is NOT being switched off - Government confirms

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 11:12:15 BST 2010

But no-one ever said FM as such was going to be switched off, did they?

The big worry was (/is) that if the majority of listening to BBC and big
commercial stations becomes digital, there will be an inevitable
'second-class service' aura gradually attaching to FM, no matter how
unwarranted.

Despite the proposal to include FM in the station guide, an the Minister's
assurances, I believe there will still be be a tendency for non-digital
stations to become somewhat 'ghettoized'. People will have a natural
tendency if they have shelled out for a shiny new digital set to want to use
it on digital stations.

The move to include FM stations in the digital radio EPG is a very good move
to mitigate this effect, but not really a big step - I think FM should be
fully integrated, including supporting text and 'on now' messages, which is
technically trivial to implement through RDS. And on radios tat offer
live-pause/rewind, they should offer this for FM as well - again technically
easy and has been done by some pocket MP3 players for years.

I'm sorry to say I think CMA sold the family silver for sixpence when it
agreed to allow its invaluable endorsement of  the reprehensible Digital
Economy Bill (and by extension DAB) to be used  by in return for the
commitment to an expanded EPG. It should have held out at the very least for
radiotext and rewind/pause parity as well to have any hope of escaping the
FM ghetto risk.

There are some other big holes in Ed Vaizey's 'issues still to be
addressed' - notably "C" - capacity(or its corollary, quality). DAB simply
does not have the capacity to provide expanded choice economically in less
heavily populated areas where there is only one multplex (if any!). Indeed
in most of Scotland it provides considerably reduced choice from FM.

Alex