[cma-l] FM is NOT being switched off - Government confirms

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jul 9 10:18:53 BST 2010

Dear all

Below extracts from Ed Vaizey's speech yesterday, confirming what we
have been telling you for a while!

Best wishes

Jaqui

"And we will not switch off FM, FM will remain a platform for small
local and community radio for as long as these services want it."

"Another myth is that, by switching over to digital, we plan to switch
off FM.  We do not.  Let me repeat this - we do not intend to switch
off FM.

FM will be available to local listeners as long as is necessary.
There is a fear that when the majority of listeners listen to digital,
FM will somehow become a ghetto,.  This will not be the case.  Even
today, digital radios allow a relatively seamless transition between
digital and FM.  Integrated station guides should, in future, allow
the listener to switch seamlessly between their favourite stations,
oblivious to whether they are broadcast on digital or FM."

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

See our 2010 photo blog:

http://photo365.commedia.org.uk/

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities