[cma-l] VOD charges - Ed Vaizey remarks

sbuckley at gn.apc.org sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Thu Jul 8 18:52:53 BST 2010

Dear all

I took part yesterday in a meeting of the UK Internet Governance Forum
where the Culture Secretary, Ed Vaizey, gave a short speech on Internet
governance. In the time for questions I was able to raise the issue of the
implementation in the UK of the Audiovisual Media Services (AVMS)
Directive and the proposed VOD charges. This is, verbatim, the Minister's
response:

"The point about the AVMS is a well made point. I would like to know what
the association of video on demand providers [ATVOD] are saying about
this, Whether this is something emerging from them or whether it is simply
emerging from Ofcom, on its own, as it were. It is certainly something I
would want to look into. Without wishing to give any of the officials who
escorted me to this meeting a heart attack, it seems to me that it would
be a difficult position where a one size fits all structure was imposed
that meant that smaller, community-based organisations were getting the
same kind of tariff as large media organisations. I am not sure, with the
Directive itself, that it was the intention to do that."

I think this is helpful and I suggest that CMA and others responding to
the Ofcom statement, should ensure DCMS is also appraised of our concerns,
especially given that Vaizey has committed to reducing regulatory burdens.

A reminder to all, that the statement is here, and the deadline 15 July:
http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/vod_proposals/statement/

Best wishes

Steve