[cma-l] ATVOD charges

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jul 7 18:17:32 BST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Adam Baxter <Adam.Baxter at ofcom.org.uk>
To: 'Somerset Film' <info at somersetfilm.com>

Dear Phil

Thank you for your e-mail. We are considering all the responses we
receive on the issue of a possible concessionary fee for small-scale
VOD services. Where appropriate, we may respond to individual queries
raised by stakeholders. We will be considering all responses, which we
have asked to be sent to us by 15 July 2010, before deciding next
steps.

Yours sincerely

Adam Baxter

\\

From: Somerset Film [mailto:info at somersetfilm.com]

Dear Adam Baxter

I write with considerable concern about the options you are
considering for ATVOD charges.

It will not be fair and proportionate if Ofcom consents to impose a
£2500 charge on the UK’s smallest  VOD service providers.  This fee
could destroy small scale services seeking to enhance democratic
participation and civil society.   It is surely not in the interests
of citizens or consumers for Ofcom to damage small scale services by
imposing punitive fees they can ill afford.  We urge Ofcom to devise a
fair fee structure for VOD regulation which does not damage small
scale operators or stifle experimental services and innovation.
These proposals as they stand are certain to cause widespread
confusion and distress to voluntary and community groups across the
UK.  They fly in the face of the Government’s express intention to
build the Big Society and will do untold damage to media literacy,
social cohesion and community voice.

Please assure me that these charges will be dropped or significantly
reduced for not for profit and voluntary organisations as well as for
the smaller bodies delivering at a local level.

Yours sincerely

Phil Shepherd

Chair of Council
Community Media Association