[cma-l] ATVOD charges

Somerset Film info at somersetfilm.com
Wed Jul 7 18:02:21 BST 2010

Dear Adam Baxter

I write with considerable concern about the options you are considering for
ATVOD charges.

It will not be fair and proportionate if Ofcom consents to impose a £2500
charge on the UK¹s smallest  VOD service providers.  This fee could destroy
small scale services seeking to enhance democratic participation and civil
society.   It is surely not in the interests of citizens or consumers for
Ofcom to damage small scale services by imposing punitive fees they can ill
afford.  We urge Ofcom to devise a fair fee structure for VOD regulation
which does not damage small scale operators or stifle experimental services
and innovation.   These proposals as they stand are certain to cause
widespread confusion and distress to voluntary and community groups across
the UK.  They fly in the face of the Government¹s express intention to build
the Big Society and will do untold damage to media literacy, social cohesion
and community voice.

Please assure me that these charges will be dropped or significantly reduced
for not for profit and voluntary organisations as well as for the smaller
bodies delivering at a local level.

Yours sincerely

Phil Shepherd

Chair of Council