[cma-l] URGENT! Do you put video on demand on your website - if so this is URGENT

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Tue Jul 6 15:00:54 BST 2010

On 6 Jul 2010, at 14:10, Cathy Aitchison wrote:

> According to that, charitable organisations which make campaigning
> and awareness-raising videos for events such as Refugee Week, and
> include them on their websites, would count as VOD service
> providers. Perhaps that's the idea: maybe a bright spark in
> Whitehall thought it would be a good way of stopping people from
> exposing injustices and such like....

Except clause 3.3 says: "Services comprised of the following types of
video content may not be
considered to be on-demand programme services....(d) video content on
corporate websites, where the purpose is to disseminate
information about the company's own operations, products or financial
performance"
Presumably that would include a charity's campaigning material?

What I don't understand is the meaning of the clause setting out
excluded activities: "Services that are primarily non-economic,......
In this context, "economic‟ is interpreted in the widest sense to
encompass all forms of economic activity, however funded, and may
include public service material, free to view content, as well as
advertising-funded, subscription, pay per view and other transactional
business models"
Does that mean that public service material etc is excluded from the
VOD regulations, or does it mean that it is considered to be economic
and is therefore within the regulations?