[cma-l] "Platform Neutral"

Tony Bailey studio at ravensoundradio.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 11:29:23 GMT 2010

G'day all,

I've been following this thread with interest, in the UK we always
appear to put the cart before the horse - a techi gimmick looking for a
user.  In reality the truth is less palatable - I remember visiting the
NTL stand as SBES many moons ago when DAB was not yet "dead and buried"
and bumping into an ILR chief, who, when asked by me if the intention
with DAB was to go down the Sky multi-channel route, excused himself and
headed for the exit.

Clearly the idea of a multi-channel medium was anathema to their
commercial interests at the time and this was to have a lasting effect
on the subsequent development of the system.

In DAB you have all the ingredients of a BSB and OnDigital debacle,
politically motivated, expensive and technologically flawed.

Tony Bailey

--
Raven Sound PO Box 283 Bromley BR2 0RR UK
Tel: (020) 8466 8060  Int: + 44 20 84 66 80 60

Raven Sound is a voluntary sector community media project
www.ravensoundradio.co.uk