[cma-l] Platform neutral radio sets

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu Jan 14 18:00:37 GMT 2010

Further to my previous posting (as if that weren't long enough already!), I
note that RadioCentre is describing the 'platform neutral' initiative as
being a commitment to:
"devices that provide platform neutral tuning, and equal access to radio
stations whether they are on FM or digital"

As I said, to be truly platform neutral means to me also supporting the
various track naming and interactive features, rewind/pause options etc as
far as
practicable, regardless of transmission technology. These things are all
perfectly feasible technically on existing FM broadcasts as well as DAB,
mostly simply needing more software and a simple digitizer, but it seems to
me that DCMS and RadioCentre are looking at simply providing a uniform list
of station names for selection.

I guess that is the most important aspect, but it would be a rather
half-hearted implementation of platform neutral in my view.

And when the minister gave the idea his backing in Parliament this week,
there was no mention of just how it would be ensured that all, or even most,
DAB radios offered even this limited implementation.

Alex