[cma-l] Community Radio Politics Programme - Please Help!

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Sun Feb 7 15:01:21 GMT 2010

 Hi

On 7 February 2010 14:48, "Joseph Wu / Spectrum Radio" <jw at 558.net> wrote:

[...]

> Does CMA has the latest Ofcom guidelines on the General Election? I have been told there are a few changes this year.

The issue of election coverage was discussed last this year on this
mailing list:

http://mailman.commedia.org.uk/pipermail/cma-l/2009-May/004541.html

Ofcom published some guidelines about community radio broadcasting in
the run-up to last year's European elections and a number of local
council elections but the same principles would apply to a General
Election.

During election periods special impartiality rules apply. They are set
out in Section Six of Ofcom's Broadcasting Code which can be accessed
via the following link:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/elections/

Ofcom also provides Guidance Notes to explain the requirements:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/bguidance/guidance6.pdf

At all times there are rules which apply to broadcasters concerning
‘due impartiality’ and ‘due accuracy’ and ‘undue prominence of
views and opinions on matters of political or industrial controversy
and matters relating to current public policy’. These rules are
included
in Section Five of the Broadcasting Code available via this link:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/codes/bcode/undue/

Guidance Notes to help explain the Section Five requirements may be found at:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/tv/ifi/guidance/bguidance/guidance5.pdf

Hope this is useful and best regards

Bill Best
http://photo365.commedia.org.uk