[cma-l] Murdoch and the tea party to come

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Fri Dec 31 13:54:56 GMT 2010

My concern about the Murdoch issue is not that I object to there being a
range of opinion out there both left and right - just that the interests
News International furthers are not about political debate but the
suppression of it through misinformation and scare mongering.  Look at the
impact of Fox TV in the States, that's not about debate it's about the
tyranny of the market and the vested interest of a greedy minority.

Referencing the Ofcom guidelines is an important consideration for
broadcasters yes but (and I make no apologies for continuing to raise this)
what about our charter that we all signed up to?  Do you believe that
allowing Murdoch to proceed with his plans will not impact on our stated aim
to 'contribute to the democratic process'?  At what point do we stand up for
anything beyond our immediate interests?  At what point do we intervene and
say actually this corporation is working to destroy the very diversity and
tolerance we are here to support?

It's not just about money surely?  I for one would not be happy to take the
Murdoch shilling to sustain our social enterprise.  Let's hear some other
opinions on this?

Phil

PS Don't forget to sign the petition!