[cma-l] Community Radio Future In Doubt?

mark polden markianpolden at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 21:00:21 GMT 2010

I do agree with Alan
They are trying to keep the cat in the bag, as soon as internet radio is available in cars the commercial radio industry will inevitably die because it will be an open field.
Advertisers will stop advertising because listeners will be able to listen to anything
The problems with community radio on DAB are twofold
1. The DAB concept is flawed in that it has inserted a supplier in the broadcast chain, and that supplier inevitably wants to make a shit load of money. Last month we were asked if we were interested in going on DAB but the cost was going to be £60k ish. If DRM were used individual then individual stations could have their own transmitters at minimal cost.
2. All the current multiplexes that I know of are regional, not designed for local areas. The multiplex we were invited for is for North Wales, North Cheshire and Merseyside. That would never be any use for any normal community  station, only for a community of special interest station
Mark PoldenFlame CCR