[cma-l] Shott Review of economics of local television – Northern Visions reply to why use the web?

lockwood at btinternet.com lockwood at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 26 16:07:53 BST 2010

This was my response, sent to you only because he may not moderate my vindictiveness:

Is this blog a good demonstration of the status quo trying to protect and sustain itself?

No, no, you poor little people go away, you don’t understand what is required to run a TV station, and anyway you are ‘local’ and TV is far grander than that. For you the Internet is the answer.

That may be the case except that now we have the Big Society! The people are about to take over (Our beloved leader David Cameron says so). We, the people, now make the decisions, not a bunch of benevolent folk dishing out the cash we all gave them.

It is our cash and we want it. We want a voice. We do not want a third-party to filter everything we say. We will make mistakes, we will never do what is ‘right’ but if you have any real understanding of democracy you may realise that eventually the people do get it right. We may have to sit around the guillotine for a while but the broad principles will be realised, although then the bureaucrats will step in and ruin it all over again.

I’ve also had a long track record of local campaigning – and it is possible to persuade cajole and entertain. People are not stupid, they do notice that BBC2 broadcasted a b/w version of Dad’s Army as Saturday night entertainment a few weeks ago. They do notice that BBC local radio costs millions but rarely covers their little community. And they do moan.

The British are good at moaning. We put up with a lot. Is that where the fear really lies? If we are given a proper platform that we may complain and then (please no) try to get something changed? Could moaning be left behind by real action?

Broadband may be the answer – when we can all get a reliable service that allows TV downloads. Come to the country, come sniff the cow manure while downloading a file. You’ll be there after milking is done.

What will it really cost? We have the network in place, plenty of transmitters, and we can always nationalise a sateliite (can’t we?). Let’s build 80 TV stations (good for employment) and they need not be huge – just a room or two with good lighting, a couple of seats and a camera or two. Don’t go mad, don’t expect overnight success but do engage brain before spouting rubbish, and remember we.

Cheap studios linked to a transmission network. We have the country covered. Programme content? There’s archive material – and we paid for it the BBC can release all the stuff they have archived (pity they didn’t preserve it all but they are not to be blamed for a lack of vision), and 80 stations each produces content each week, some of which deserves local, or regional, or even national coverage.

At my little station we offered a regional station coverage of a fire – we were filming live stuff, people running around, real action. They refused, sending their own crew 50 miles to film smouldering ashes. That’s the usual penalty paid for being ‘local’.

Advertisers: lovely people who pay fortunes for 30 seconds when they could spend time with a local crew walking around their facility really selling their wares. Politicians – do you hear the sigh of despair coming from me? We have a county-wide issue: the council want to sell off the libraries (CEO suggests Costa Coffee). Local politician says ‘it don’t matter what we say the opposition will call it in’. They are petty dictators who fail to comprehend much beyond their own diary, and expense account. (I am being deliberately provocative – ‘cos nobody reads, listens or cares)

We can have a proper public network tomorrow. Stand up: say that the BBC is past its sell-by date. Say the BBC no longer understands the needs of the people. Say that we do – and we just need a little support and we’ll give David Cameron, our beloved leader, a legacy of which he will be justfiably proud.

Trevor Lockwood