[cma-l] It's 2% not 1%

Prashant Singh prashant at ulfaharts.co.uk
Wed Apr 28 10:54:44 BST 2010

Julia,

Mr. Karim suggesting £ 75 k is not an extravagant amount of money to run a
community radio station with quality programming. T
he reason it has taken so long for the community Radio Station circuit to
rise up is the lack of real funding for :

a)  More producers with network experience ( in part-time or full-time
capacity)
b)  Community media education projects
c)  Solid financial backbone.

By your calculations £ 12,500 is enough to run a community radio station,
you are right , it is enough to Œrun¹ a station , but will it really produce
some breakthrough programming and community projects?  which have
sustainability and the right network level quality to appeal and attract
younger listeners ? or even listeners who are spell bound by the hit-40
music format being churned out of tabloid radio ? Definitely not. Too long
our sector has been seen as average level programming run by people in
Œspare time¹ , community radio stations across the country are doing some
excellent work, and the one¹s who want the sector to become a leading force
in Radio, and not a poor step sister of network radio, will agree with what
Mr. Karim says, it could be £ 75 k or less, or more, but the point being a
set amount, substantial enough to produce budget radio with quality and give
each station some financial backbone.

Prashant Singh  | Head of Media Development
____________________________
Ulfah Arts
Unit 15, Highgate Craft Centre
8 Highgate Square,