[cma-l] NING GOES PREMIUM

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Sun Apr 18 11:23:46 BST 2010

So glad you told me about this, Steve.
Ning is/was such a good product in the not-for-profit world. Despite the
scant mainstream media attention, Ning has been widely used by
not-for-profit organisations, especially those working in community media /
social inclusion / digital participation etc.

I think Ning have underestimated the relative importance of the media
sharing element alongside the networking element. There are successful Ning
networks with just a handful of members, publishing good media for others
(incl non-members) to share. Ning's media loading and sharing systems are
excellent, allowing the items to be hosted on the network as well as
embedded. Apart from the fact that audio is refered to throughout as
'music', it's great, especially for a small project sharing short audio
items.
eg. see: http://rwradio.ning.com for our Refugee Week Radio network.

Ironically, Ning may at last get some of the mainstream media attention it
deserves - let's hope it can steer itself in the right direction before the
storm breaks.

Best wishes
Cathy
http://www.refugeeweekradio.net