[cma-l] NING GOES PREMIUM

Thompson, Steve S.D.Thompson at tees.ac.uk
Sun Apr 18 08:41:17 BST 2010

Hello,

I don't know how many community media folks have picked up on this yet but
the twitterverse is abuzz with it.

The social network NING is intending to go PREMIUM only. The announcement
from the new CEO (whilst cutting the Ning workforce by 40%) seems quite
stark, "pay for premium services or migrate off the network" Here is the
latest more friendly announcement http://bit.ly/aqbpGN

This seems a shame because the enclosed nature of Ning and it's multi media
capabilities seemed ideal for Community Media groups. Whilst I don't think
any provider HAS to give their services for free this has been the business
model of NING for several years and they've built up a client base on the
strength of it that they are now going to disenfranchise. I think they are
likely to have a damaging backlash.

Of course no-one said Ning is going away and all you have to do is pay (not
sure how much yet) to keep your network. However, I hear warning bells and
I'm considering alternatives as are many people. I'm thinking of using
BuddyPress with a Wordpress installation. I'll list some links below of
alternatives other folks are suggesting.

http://bit.ly/9UFlaR

There is a google doc here http://bit.ly/bQzzQG (warning this might clog up
your browser)

Steve T