[cma-l] [Fwd: The Stars of Tomorrow?]

Karl Hartland hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk
Mon Sep 28 08:44:59 BST 2009

For interest...

*Seven Days in Radio* ..sponsored by /your company/
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/page.php?12>?
RCS <http://www.rcsuk.com> 	*The Radio Today website is proud to be

*The Stars of Tomorrow?*
The American radio industry had their annual gathering last week. It’s
the NAB conference, and much like at the Radio Festival, the great and
the good lined up to share wise words about listeners, advertisers,
talent, and much more. We’d like to thank Keri Jones for updating our
readers about the happenings there.

It was the talent side of the discussions that particularly caught our
eye, and then we saw this blog
<http://www.infinitedial.com/2009/09/radios_looming_crisis_is_not_d.php>
which points out, quite wisely, that it’s no good harping on about
needing new talent if you’re automating and networking most of your
output, as that leaves no slots to trial the stars of tomorrow. And, as
we all know, content – which often comes from great talent - is the only
thing that’ll keep radio in the media mix.

So, the Americans have nowhere to nourish new talent? Over here in the
UK, we’re actually a lot luckier.

Sure, we’ve got a growing number of networked hours on many stations,
and there’s more voicetracking than anyone would prefer, but the UK has
a secret weapon – the third tier of radio.

When was the last time you listened to a community, student or hospital
station? Not recently, we’d bet. But you should. This is where we’ll be
turning to for our next generation of stars, both on and off the mic.
The obvious example is Greg James, who started out at student station
Livewire and RSL station Future Radio, both in Norwich, before being
fast-tracked to early breakfast at Radio 1. We’ve no doubt that the
BBC’s involvement in the Student Radio Awards played a big part in this
being possible.

These “other” stations are easier to hear now, as well. With most
student stations streaming online, you no longer need to be parked by
the campus to hear them, and community stations usually have a better
transmission setup than their RSL cousins. Listen also for the features,
the community involvement, the marketing techniques; who knows what we
could be learning from those that haven’t been brainwashed into obeying
the format rules that we live and breathe by.

In fact, here’s an idea to save time and effort. Switch your logging
streams so that as well as monitoring your commercial opposition, you’re
also recording your nearest student or community station. That way you
can zip through an hour of polka requests if need be.

If you already know of some great stations in the community and student
sector, drop us an email and we’ll feature some next week.
*Seven Days of radio news:* (also on Twitter
<http://www.twitter.com/radiotoday> and RSS
<http://feeds.feedburner.com/radiotoday>)

*Third and final day from NAB <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5203>*
As the NAB Radio Show draws to a close, some final thoughts (well, quite
a few actually) on the last day in Philadelphia with Keri Jones.

*Community station is lovin it <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5202>*
A community radio station in Wales has attracted the support and
sponsorship of a major fast food restaurant chain.

*New: Radio Production Awards <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5201>*
The Radio Academy and the Radio Independents Group have teamed up to
create the Radio Production Awards 2010, with an awards ceremony
scheduled for February next year to present the gongs.

*NAB Blog - Day 2 from Philly <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5200>*
6am: Awoke and put on telly to see that the NBC station is now promoting
real-time traffic cams in High Definition. Who wants to see a jam so
clearly?

*Pegg takes on Metro and Magic <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5199>*
Chris Pegg has been appointed as the new Programme Director of Metro
Radio and Magic 1152 in Newcastle. He comes to the station after a stint
at Heart 106.

*NME partners Hewlett Packard <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5198>*
NME Radio has teamed up with Hewlett Packard for its forthcoming HP Uni
Tour. The tour will visit six universities with a bill including VV
Brown, Does It Offend You Yeah and Bombay Bicycle Club.

*Heart declares undying love <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5197>*
Heart is to launch its debut Love Music Live event in conjunction with
Barclaycard Unwind with a show headlined by Michael Bublé at a West End
venue in October.

*Blog from NAB - Philadelphia <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5196>*
Radio Today colleague and owner of Radio Scilly Keri Jones is blogging
from the NAB Radio Show at the Pennsylvania Convention Center in
Philadelphia. Visit this page regularly for updates to this content over
the next couple of days.

*Kevin Hughes signs to Capital <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5195>*
Kevin Hughes is to join 95.8 Capital FM Hughes to present a New Sunday
night show, Total Access with Barclaycard Unwind from 7-8pm, from the 27
September.

*New Central director for UTV <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5194>*
UTV Radio's Preston, Leyland and Chorley station Central Radio has hired
Paula Davies as Station Director.

*Blackburn covers Judi Spiers <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5193>*
Sensational Tony Blackburn is standing in for Judi Spiers on BBC Radio
Devon, for one day only!

*NAB Radio Conference cancelled
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5192>*
This year’s NAB European Radio Conference - due to take place in Athens
through 25-27 October - has been cancelled due to the pinch being felt
by the current economic climate.

*The Coast debuts new app <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5191>*
The Coast in Solent has launched a new iPhone app, with the help of G
Media. The app plays the station’s output while displaying scrolling
images and text.

*Digital Radio UK to lead the way
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5190>*
A new consumer-facing digital radio organisation has launched today, and
will be known as Digital Radio UK. It has the demanding task of getting
the UK ready for digital radio upgrade.

*Corrie Street stars are the Key
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5189>*
Michelle Keegan and Jennie McAlpine from Coronation Street are helping
Mike Toolan on breakfast this week.

*Stuart and Sarra enter the Dragon
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5188>*
Former Stereophonic Stuart Cable and S4C’s Sarra Eglan are to cover the
Kam and Sally breakfast show on Red Dragon FM for one week from
September 28.

*Radio Aire locks listeners in shed
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5187>*
96.3 Radio Aire has tempted five listeners to live in a shed for two
weeks with the chance to win their mortgage/rent paid for a year up to
the value of 5K.

*Williams returns to Jazz FM <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5186>*
Nigel Williams is to return to Jazz FM’s weekday Breakfast Show from 24
September. His return coincides with the station’s decision to extend
the show by an hour from 6-10am from October 5.

*Coast holds up the traffic <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?item.5185>*
The Coast has launched a billboard campaign featuring original
illustrations of some of the greatest names in music history.
See our archive online <http://radiotoday.co.uk/news.php?all>

*Advertising Opportunities*
RadioToday.co.uk is viewed by over 3000 people every day, and is the
only daily updated website covering all aspects of UK radio industry
news. We have the power to place your product, service or announcement
in front of the industry. Click here
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/page.php?12> for more details.
*Upcoming radio industry events:*

*The launch of PeaceFM
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/e107_plugins/calendar_menu/event.php?1254524400.event.270.>*
on 03 Oct 2009
Manchester's newest community radio station launches today on 90.1FM.
*Location:* Hulme, Manchester.

*Promotions and Marketing Awards 2009
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/e107_plugins/calendar_menu/event.php?1256232600.event.265.>*
on 22 Oct 2009
Award event for the NDL Radio Academy Promotions and Marketing Awards
2009 *Location:* Great Portland Street, London

*The launch of Moorlands Radio
<http://radiotoday.co.uk/e107_plugins/calendar_menu/event.php?1257588000.event.272.>*
on 07 Nov 2009
The Staffordshire Moorlands' local radio station, Moorlands Radio,
launches today at 10am on 103.7 FM. *Location:* Leek, Staffordshire
Moorlands

*Best of the rest:* (Blogs and news from other sites)
Is it just us, or is Trebor totally ripping off Absolute Radio...
<http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/198673339>
Chris Moyles must go, says Bruno <http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/198195321>
Chris Evans: riding high on the medium wave
<http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/198185852>
Let’s meet up in Athens, Greece <http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/196750272>
NAB Europe cancelled <http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/194843653>
Breaking News: Music4 owner found stuck to a pole.
<http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/194439237>
Chris Evans's breakfast audience likely to be younger than Terry Wogan's
<http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/193994669>
Access all areas at BBC Radio 1 - Video
<http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/193351726>
Jon Hilcock to leave Xfm <http://radiotonight.co.uk/post/193235919>
*Radio jobs this week:* (powered by Media UK)
Broadcast Journalist (Breakfast) at Leicester Sound (Global Radio),
Leicester <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7173>
Broadcast Journalist at BBC , Wiltshire
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7168>
Freelance Audio Recording at Sight & Sounds Ltd, UK wide
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7166>
Broadcast PR Account Manager at The Broadcasters, London Broadcast
Centre W1 <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7161>
Sunday newsreader vacancy at Original 106.5 and Bristol’s Star Radio. at
Tomahawk Radio Ltd, Bristol <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7149>
News Editor at Peak FM, Chesterfield
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7148>
Daytime Presenter / Website Manager at Spire FM, Salisbury
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7146>
Drive Presenter at 2br, East Lancashire
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7145>
Interactive Editor, BBC Music Interactive at BBC, London
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7136>
Freelance Broadcast Journalist at Heart, Bangor
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7135>
Freelance Radio Broadcast Journalists (6) at UK Radio News, Various -
see full ad <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7134>
Presenters at Chester's Dee 106.3., Chester
<http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7128>
Broadcast Journalist at Heart 103.4 Cheshire and North East Wales,
Wrexham <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7127>
Advertising Sales Executives at Executive Network Sales Ltd - Media
Division, West Midlands <http://www.mediauk.com/radio/jobs/7126>
RCS <http://www.rcsuk.com> 	*The Radio Today website is proud to be

*The Small Print*
The views expressed in this email are not necessarily the views of Radio
Today, Park Media or our staff. Editorial is an independent view by our
freelance journalist, which can change weekly. This was sent to
hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk because you are either a registered user of
Radio Today with RCS or you have registered for news alerts from us via
our old newsletter system. The sent from address is monitored on a
regular basis so to cancel or change your email address, just hit reply
and we'll confirm your request. RadioToday.co.uk is a Park Media website.

--
Karl Hartland
209radio Station Manager

105 FM in the Cambridge City Area
http://209radio.co.uk everywhere else!

Citylife House
Sturton Street
Cambridge
CB1 2QF

01223 488418

01223 488410 - new personal direct number!
07968 898254

209radio is a Registered Charity in England, No. 1124610,
and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 5585527

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 209radio Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.