[cma-l] Freedoms in perspective ?

Roger Drury roger at coalway.f9.co.uk
Mon Sep 14 19:10:14 BST 2009

Just noting how radio can be effective and empowering and how it is in Uganda (see below from Panos news) when power disagrees.

And while the exchanges on community media lists about dodgy lyrics gets edgy- there is a complete absence of comment on the BBC invitation to offer a platform to the BNP.

Do we not care about where the line is being drawn and at least enagage in a debate about access/ freedom and abuse of power on our media?

'Each word we speak is a broadcast we will be judged on'

anyone?

Roger Drury
SOUNDWORK

Radio freedom challenged in Uganda

International media rights groups have condemned the Ugandan government's actions against the press after last week's riots in Kampala. Four radio stations were closed and all live debate programmes were banned. The Committee to Protect Journalists and Reporters Without Borders condemned the move. Radio One talk show host Kalundi Sserumaga was arrested on Friday and is expected in court today, charged with sedition, adding to concerns about press freedom in the country. Officials say at least 21 people died and 550 were arrested as a result of the riots. Violence broke out in Kampala after the government prevented the king of Buganda, traditional head of the Baganda people, Uganda's biggest ethnic group, from entering a district near the capital.