[cma-l] Community Radio Fund - government response

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 9 16:28:17 BST 2009

Dear all

We have received now an initial response from the Government to the
joint open letter to the Prime Minister sent on 20 July. The
response, from Sion Simon MP, Minister for Culture Industries, says
"the Government recognises the importance of community radio and its
contribution to the communities which they serve". The letter
outlines current government measures and proposals to support
community radio and concludes: "DCMS will continue to work with other
Government Departments and Agencies to identify other sources of
funding, specifically where there are community cohesion and social
gain objectives, for community radio."

It is a vague commitment, but it indicates tacit acceptance of our
case that the Community Radio Fund is inadequate. We need to keep up
the pressure!

The petition has now reached over 2500 signatures. Today, for the
first time, it entered the top 50 of all open petitions (there are
currently 4446 open petitions, so we are nearly into the top 1 per
cent). This also puts it on the first page of open petitions (by
size) on the No10 website. Of course we would like many more.

With just 2.5 weeks to go before the petition closes, lets all give
this a final push to move it up the top 50! We might not make it to
the top (70,000 needed!) but we can make a good showing and
strengthen the case for community radio funding. Please keep
reminding people to sign up and to encourage their friends to do the
same. And keep the public debate going, in the media and on the airwaves.

A copy of the letter from Sion Simon is available here:
http://www.sheffieldlive.org/lettertogordonbrown/

Best wishes

Steve

Support Community Radio!