[cma-l] Appeal to all Station Managers / Project Leaders

Office - Hayes FM office at hayesfm.org
Sat Sep 5 22:06:22 BST 2009

Hi Lol

As always, an email from Lol requires one to stop what they are doing and have a read. It also reminds me that I owe you a drink, to have an exchange of ideas and views, and talk radio!!

It would be difficult to argue against some of the points you have raised in this email, (especially on a Saturday night and after a day of producing, presenting, training, roadshows, outreach, and meetings pushing the Hayes FM brand in West London!!) . In many ways, there is more common ground between you and I than initially meets the eye.

I would never argue against human rights, and the need to offer a platform for those for whom there is not a voice and they should be heard at this sector, of course!! However, I would suggest to you that those voices are also being heard, and very often and usually on the BBC. That is not essentially what I am saying. I have been lucky that I have worked across the BBC, commercial and community sector, so I look at this from a particular point of view, but by no means an expert view.

One aspect of what I am trying to say is that there are some in this sector who are not using the licence for its intended purpose. I have listened to a lot of output and am just wondering under what conditions they got the licence and how it marries up against the application form. Listening to the output, I am wondering where the cohesion, inclusion or integration is. Indeed, some radio stations are not even carrying the travel or the news. I suppose in their defence they could say, as one did say to me, the quality of presentation is not as good as the old days, as most people on radio want to 'DJ' and not present, let alone talk, take the travel, talk about local news etc..aahh!! the ipod generation strikes again!!

So while there can be a broad purpose, it needs to be more clearly defined, before moving forward. That should be addressed before any huge amounts of funding. But I take on board what you said about getting the best deal.

Funding will probably come to this sector, but when the history is written, it will probably have more to do with negotiations at government level with real evidence of this sector's value.

Your view on some of the licences given out to South Asian applications is very true and some practices are unfortunate. Being of Indian origin, it equally saddens me that South Asian broadcasting is so poor, at times racist (but then a lot of commercial radio isn't far off), mostly all the time segregationist, a good example of giving licences out to communities within a community.

Equally, mainstream, non-'asian' media has chosen to define the community in one way, in that most 'asians' are seen as 'religious, mainly muslim' and a bit freaky. To be fair, it is also part-self inflicted. I have nothing in common with this type of definition, it is so far on the opposite side of my value system, it's in a different time zone!!. Equally, at Hayes FM , we have attracted a very sizable South Asian audience who reject that exact concept whatever their religious heritage, much to the annoyance of some parts of the community.

Talking about poor, it is not only 'asian's radio that is poor in delivery, I would argue and evidence that not all sections of this sector are producing great radio, having heard many, there are some excellent radio stations across the country, but not all by any means. This is a separate debate, its subjective but an area that does need to be addressed. I am off the view that you exact change, be it cohesion, inclusion or regeneration through popular formats, exactly what happened with popular music.

Lol, I think you and I essentially liberal (maybe not politically!!) and secular, and we have to defend that. Don't forget, historically, where liberals and secularists worked with traditionalists and religious conservatives, they were usually hanged when the latter came to power. Radio, I would argue was born out of that ideal, and the idea of cohesion, integration and inclusion is the building blocks of that idea, one opium of the free mind. Not everyone in this sector believes in that, and that is one aspect of what I am saying when I say not everyone is using the licence for its intended purpose, hence some of your own observations.

Anyway, how are you, hope you are well, and your health is well, as last time we spoke you were not so good.I have a lot of respect for you, so am humbled that you took the time to email through. Thanks.

Take care

Kindest as always

Sutish