[cma-l] Campaign tools

Karl Hartland hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk
Fri Sep 4 11:36:32 BST 2009

Wonderful and hopefully sobering interjection from our Lobby and Support
leader Jaqui there.

With respect to her and CTV people I would suggest that the £6m figure
needs to be a bit more than a bit more though, in the long run, if it is
to support CTV too.

It *is *a Community Media Fund in scope (I have been guilty of referring
to it as C*R*F, hands up there) but the costs of production for TV are
undeniably higher than for radio, especially at start-up, and with a
'long head' on this, we need to recognise that when clarifying our
positions so as to not create a future situation where CTV and CR are
fighting one another as and when we have adequate provision of the
former platform.

This is an area where I believe we have self-sustaining power: if we can
consolidate our approaches, methodology and systems to 'commercial'
income, levies can be placed on that to generate funding income for all.

Can I hear horror at the C word? Don't be scared of it kids...we have
airtime others want (nay *need*), they can and will pay for it within
the correct context...we define that context to a large extent...make
that help pay for our Social Gain delivery.

Jaqui Devereux wrote:
> Dear all
>
> I write to remind you that things like petitions are only one element in
> any campaign.  The CMA notes the "letting off steam" of some of the
> recent posts on this subject - we would suggest that rather than the
> sector tearing
> itself apart, it would be better just to sign, or not sign, the
> petition.  Then to come up with positive suggestions for increasing the
> pressure on the government to commit to the kind of funding levels
> envisaged in 2003 in the Anthony Everitt report (current calculations
> would make the fund around £6 million - of course we would want a bit
> more than that and we want it to cover community TV as well as radio).
>
> Some of you have produced jingles for the campaign and profile raising -
> if you want to use these on air please feel free to download them.
> Please feel free also to upload any you have made.  The jingles can be
> found at:
>
> http://allthevoices.commedia.org.uk/
>
> To upload your jingles please follow this link:
>
> http://allthevoices.commedia.org.uk/admin/
>
> And upload your audio file using these details:
>
> Username: upload
> Password: publicpassword
>
> Then send an email to tech at commedia.org.uk to let us know that you've
> uploaded your jingle, we will publish it to share.
>
> Also just to let you know we are seeking a meeting with Stephen Timms MP
> who has taken over the job of steering the Digital Britain agenda, also
> the Secretary of State Ben Bradshaw.  I have to say that they would
> regard the sector as a bit of a laughing stock if they ever saw some of
> the recent posts to the list.
>
> All positive suggestions welcome!
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jaqui

Karl Hartland
209radio Station Manager

105 FM in the Cambridge City Area
http://209radio.co.uk everywhere else!

Citylife House
Sturton Street
Cambridge
CB1 2QF

01223 488418
07968 898254

209radio is a Registered Charity in England, No. 1124610,
and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 5585527

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 209radio Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.