[cma-l] Appeal to all Station Managers / Project Leaders

Stevensuttie at aol.com Stevensuttie at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 19:33:57 BST 2009

I'm writing to send round my sincere apologies for my message I sent
yesterday as, for many, it's not been read in the way it was originally
intended. It was supposed to work as a rallying cry - and to be a  little bit tongue
in cheek as well...(feel free to mock me, xxx,  etc)

But I did want it to be provocative to those who haven't signed  or
circulated the petition. It was filled with frustration and irritation that 6
weeks of non-stop communications has resulted in very few people signing it,
especially considering how big the sector is.

That's what my e-mail was about. No more, no less. And yes, it served  a
purpose of attracting another 150 signatures since the CMA published it.
That's roughly a 6% increase in numbers.

I have had several supportive messages from colleagues who can see what I
was trying to achieve. I also had one from Bill Best who has inherited a
massive  amount of extra work because of my ill-fated rally cry! Sorry again
Bill.

But hate my prose or love it - this petition is going to do more damage to
our sector than good if this poor turnout remains.  What do those  numbers
tell the Government?  That it's not important.  This was  told to me 4 weeks
ago by our President Ian Stewart MP - Chair of the all party  parliamentary
community media group. And, as Ian asked me to do "what I  can" to help
boost these numbers - I have had this additional task of trying to  get as many
names signed up as possible - by getting those people that we all  see in
our radio stations every single day on board and signed up.

I have gone about this task in good humour, along with Karl Hartland and
Steve Buckley -  and spent many hours and days on the phone  talking to
station managers across the country, I've tried hard and I feel like  I've done
my bit.

I apologise whole heartedly to those colleagues who took offence at my
appeal.

I will add one last word - please don't let my email get in the way of  the
issue which is that we need to support this petition and make sure the
Government understands just how important, and how big we are. We currently
look  quite insignificant, according to this petition. And that's my major
concern.

Kindest  Regards
Steve Suttie
Station Manager, 94.4FM Salford City  Radio
office 0161 793 2939
mobile 07772 355  852
WINNERS - Community Award - Salford  Business Awards 2009
Support Community Radio - SIGN THE  PETITION:  _http://allthevoices.org_
(http://allthevoices.org)