[cma-l] Appeal to all Station Managers / Project Leaders

Marilyn Hyndman marilyn at northernvisions.org
Thu Sep 3 11:22:24 BST 2009

Dear Phil,
I wonder if this is not indicative of a crisis within the community
media sector?
I don't object to people speaking their minds and agree it is not
always pleasant but it doesn't mean it is coming from a  bad place.
It is obvious there is an enormous frustration, I suspect it is mostly
to do with external forces and I sense a feeling of helplessness.
It is clear from some of these emails that people are being
overwhelmed and some appear to be turning in on themselves and others.
I'm not so sure it is more and more debate we need, rather a plan of
action, firstly to support those struggling with the crunch at the
moment with an eye to more long term sustainability for the sector as
a whole.
A petition may be helpful short term as a kind of stop gap, but it
won't cut it long term, the sector is expanding rapidly and the
infrastructure which should underpin it has tried very hard to keep up
with the pace but faces huge challenges.
Best wishes,
Marilyn

On 2 Sep 2009, at 22:56, Phil Gibbons wrote:

> Steven,
>
> I'm all for open debate and fully support this forum, petition and
> the call for signatures. I do however (as you fully expected - If
> you feel that my outburst is rude, unnecessary, offensive or wide of
> the mark - please feel free to mock me and tell me why right here on
> the CMA mailing list), feel the need to reply to your post, some
> comments of which are totally outrageous - unless of course I have
> missed the 'irony' in your comments:
>
> Obviously, the people who are at the forefront of running community
> radio are a bunch of lazy, self serving morons who deserve to be
> sacked for being so inept that they cannot even manage to get their
> people to sign a flipping petition on a computer! Highly abusive,
> unnecessary and downright insulting to the many hardworking and
> committed project and station managers who work tirelessly with and
> for the community. Their people??
>
> To me it simply demonstrates that the fortunate people who have
> inherited the job of running community radio are lazy, self serving
> and half hearted. And a bit rubbish actually! Its an embarrassment.
> For the record I have been facilitating a community radio project in
> Bristol for six years now and am certainly not lazy, self serving or
> half hearted, and neither am I a bit rubbish. Sweeping statements
> like this do nothing to create a good cohesive sector. If we
> embarrass you so much, the factory is calling you!
>
> But get your bloody finger out and get the petition signed by ALL
> your team and partners first. XXX. Doesn't even warrant a response.
>
> If this is the sort of post that is going to be on this forum then I
> don't hold much hope for the continuation of constructive debate. If
> we can't have decent posts, then I shall simply unsubscribe from the
> list.
>
> Please think very seriously before posting damaging and insulting
> garbage like this again Steven.
>
> With slightly fewer regards,
> Phil
>

> Phil Gibbons - Station Manager
> phil at bcfm.org.uk
>
> Bristol's Community radio station - Your voice - Your choice!
> 93.2fm in Bristol
> Online at: www.bcfm.org.uk
>
> WINNERS - Most innovative project in Bristol Award - VOSCUR Awards
> 2009
>

> 0560 1126659 - Office
> 0117 9553721 - Studio
>
> www.bcfm.org.uk
>
> The Beacon Centre
> City Academy Bristol
> Russell Town Avenue
> Bristol
> BS5 9JH

Marilyn Hyndman
Northern Visions/NvTv
23 Donegall Street
Belfast
BT1 2FF

Tel: 028 9024 5495 ext 207
Fax: 028 9032 6608

NvTv
Belfast Community Television
Free-to-Air on Channel 62/Freq:799.276MHz
Live on line: www.nvtv.co.uk

www.northernvisions.org