[cma-l] Meeting with the Minister re the Community Radio Fund

Jaqui Devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Wed Oct 21 15:27:47 BST 2009

Dear all

On Monday, Steve from Sheffield Live!, Amarjit from Desi Radio and I met
with Sion Simon, Minister for Creative Industries who now has
responsibility for broadcasting.  The meeting was set up in response to
the letter stations and other supporters sent to Gordon Brown.

No guarantees of course, but the Minister said that he will consider
trying to lever in additional monies for the Fund from other government
departments.  He will also look at putting in reference to community
broadcasters when drawing up the criteria for applications for
Independently Funded News Consortia.

The CMA will work with DCMS to try to ensure these are acted upon.  We
urge you to talk to your local MPs to keep pressure up on the government.

We will of course keep you posted on progress.

Best wishes

Jaqui

--
Jaqui Devereux

Director
Community Media Association

15 Paternoster Row
Sheffield
S1 2BX

+44 114 279 5219

Join the CMA now for discounts, networking,
workshops, streaming, information, support
and a voice for community media

www.commedia.org.uk

Access to the media for people and communities