[cma-l] Augusto Boal - Theatre of the Oppressed has no end

Shawn Sobers shawn.sobers at uwe.ac.uk
Mon May 11 15:26:26 BST 2009

Hi

Here are some quotes by Augusto Boal about his notion of 'Theatre of the
Oppressed', taken from his 1992 book 'Games for Actors and Non-Actors'
that I would like to share with you.   Augusto sadly died last week.

Inspired by Paulo Freire's Pedagogy of the Oppressed he understood the
activist and emancipation role of culture for individuals and
communities living in societies where power is in the hands of the few,
where the majority are disenfranchised from being seen, heard or being
in a position to affect change, which both Boal and Freire knew was
basically every society in the world.  They both also understood how
culture could be used as a tool to pacify and numb the masses.  For
Freire his emancipation weapon was education – for Boal it was Theatre.
  For community media education activists, it is essentially both.

"[In] its most archaic sense, theatre is the capacity possessed by human
beings – and not by animals – to observe themselves in action. Humans
are capable of seeing themselves in the act of seeing, of thinking their
emotions, of being moved by their thoughts. They can see themselves here
and imagine themselves there; they can see themselves today and imagine
themselves tomorrow. This is why humans are able to identify (themselves
and others) and not merely to recognise."
Page xxvi

"The Theatre of the Oppressed is theatre in this most archaic
application of the word. In this usage, all human beings are Actors
(they act!) and Spectators (they observe!)."
Page xxx

"Theatre is a form of knowledge; it should and can also be a means of
transforming society. Theatre can help us build our future, rather than
just waiting for it."
Page xxxi

"When does a session of The Theatre of the Oppressed end? Never – since
the objective is not to close a cycle, to generate a catharsis, or to
end a development. On the contrary, its objective is to encourage
autonomous activity, to set a process in motion, to stimulate
transformative creativity, to change spectators into protagonists. And
it is precisely for these reasons that the Theatre of the Oppressed
should be the initiator of changes the culmination of which is not the
aesthetic phenomenon but real life."
Page 245

"In truth the Theatre of the Oppressed has no end, because everything
which happens in it must extend into life….The Theatre of the Oppressed
is located precisely on the frontier between fiction and reality – and
this border must be crossed. If the show starts in fiction, its
objective is to become integrated into reality, into life.

Now in 1992, when so many certainties have become so many doubts, when
so many dreams have withered on exposure to sunlight, and so many hopes
have become as many deceptions – now that we are living through times
and situations of great perplexity, full of doubts and uncertainties,
now more than ever I believe it is time for a theatre which, at its
best, will ask the right questions at the right times. Let us be
democratic and ask our audiences to tell us their desires, and let us
show them alternatives. Let us hope that one day – please, not too far
in the future – we'll be able to convince or force our governments, our
leaders, to do the same; to ask their audiences – us – what they should
do, so as to make this world a place to live and be happy in – yes, it
is possible – rather than just a vast market in which we sell our goods
and our souls. Let's hope. Let's work for it!"
Pages 246-247

Rest in Perfect Peace Augusto Boal – April 16, 1931 – May 2, 2009

A Luta Continua

http://beyondproject.wordpress.com/2009/05/09/augusto-boal-theatre-of-the-oppressed-has-no-end/

Shawn Sobers
Firstborn Creatives