[cma-l] Interesting article in The Guardian today.

Richard Hilton richard.hilton at bitc.org.uk
Mon Mar 30 15:08:09 BST 2009

Interesting article in the Guardian today by Martin Kelner about the BBC
and their role in local radio.

Part of it reads:-

> "So here is my solution. There is general agreement that the BBC, although a widely admired institution, has become too large and unwieldy, and no longer needs to do everything. So why not withdraw from local radio? The less local radio is controlled from London the better. The money saved could help fund small-scale local outfits that make a convincing case for providing a local service; community stations, pirates, even campus radio."

Not too sure about the pirates bit!

You can read the article in full here:-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/mar/30/local-community-radio-bbc

Kelner's radio columns are well worth reading and he clearly understands
and, more importantly, supports Community Radio.

Richard Hilton
--
Business in the Community
Registered Office 137 Shepherdess Walk, London N1 7RQ

Please access the attached hyperlink for an important electronic
communications disclaimer:

http://www.bitc.org.uk/fulldisclaimer