[cma-l] Ofcom and DRM

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 16:18:30 BST 2009

Alex wrote
> ".....a service carrying one or two stations essentially occupies as much bandwidth on air as a full multiplex....."

I'd disagree Alex.

You only have to look at the actual content of a multiplex which isn't
full to see that although the transmitter occupies a specific piece of
spectrum (the term Single Frequency Network is a technical nonsense), it
will operate perfectly correctly with sixteen, eight, one or no services
provided to the audience.

A nearby transmitter carrying other services with differing signatures
on the same multiplex could occupy the same bandwidth with no interference.

It's politics and money that stops it happening - not technology.

Ian Hickling