[cma-l] Ofcom and DRM

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Jun 16 15:38:00 BST 2009

Just as Ian says. There are some relatively affordable small DAB solutions
possible, but if there are already other 'conventional' DAB licences in
place, then getting it licensed might be hard as a service carrying one or
two stations essentially occupies as much bandwidth on air as a full
multiplex.

The existing multiplex operators have, in my personal opinion, been far too
keen on making big early profit from the multiplexes, leading to wholly
unreasonable carriage charges. Investments in transmitter chains are more
reasonably written of over 12 or even 20 years, but the present investors
want a payback within 2 or 3 years. As 'gatekeepers, they also sometimes
seem to act rather like the owners of large fancy shopping centres who would
rather have a few empty units (multiplex slots) than let them out at reduced
rents to small or low budget companies, because these might bring down the
'image' they want for their centre (multiplex), even though it woudl add
value for their shoppers.

In a 'green field' site for DAB of course it may be different. We are
examing the options here on the north-west coast of Scotland for a community
owned DAB multiplex operating not-for-profit, carrying local community based
stations and, hopefully, BBC.