[cma-l] Press cards

Tim Abbott nordlicht.tim at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 20:02:11 BST 2009

Good evening everyone. I am in somewhat of a quandry at present with
regards to the UK Press Card Scheme. Of the 'gatekeeper' bodies to the
official UK Press Card Scheme: I left the NUJ because it was too
political, and the BAJ and CIJ both insist on 'the majority of
earnings' coming from journalism before they issue a press card.

This is a problem. Fundamentally, I made a decision after graduating
as a Broadcast Journalism BA to offer my skills to community radio
(and thus unpaid), rather than to a commercial operation.

My major source of income is the job which pays my bills, but is not
the kind of job I would need a press card for (despite belonging
ostensibly to the PR industry)

My question is this:

Is there any way for a journalist on a non-profit making operation (in
my case, Resonance FM) to get a press card? Can the CMA act as a
bridge to a gatekeeper, or be one itself?

Why am I being punished for an economic decision, when my professional
credentials are vouched for in my degree and my CV.

This is of most concern because without a press card, I could be
targetted by police/armed forces/employers when reporting on protests
(for instance) as my status as an impartial observer would be
questioned.

But I am also passionate about my status as a professional journalist,
and I think that whether I am paid for this is irrelevant.

Advice appreciated.

Timothy Abbott
www.lightchronicles.info