[cma-l] Community Radio Petition - update

Steve Buckley sbuckley at gn.apc.org
Mon Jul 27 22:09:57 BST 2009

Dear all

Just a quick note and update on the petition launched on Friday to
improve the funding arrangements for community radio. The petition
has gathered an encouraging level of initial support. After 3 days it
has over 250 signatures and has reached number 5 in a list of 103
e-petitions in the "Information and Communications" category on the
Number 10 website. But we need to mobilise many more. To get to the
top of this list would require at least a further 3000 signatures.

This is what we propose to do at Sheffield Live! 93.2FM

- put a news item and link on the front page of our website (done)
- get all of our 200 volunteers on board and get them to tell their friends
- send the petition call out to 3000+ supporters for whom we have emails
- put a screen up in reception where all visitors can sign the e-petition
- drive people to our website during our summer funding appeal

You can do the same. Plus whatever other ideas you come up with. Let us know!

Below is the text for sending out by email, and further down a short
announcement (116 characters) that you can use for Twitter, SMS, Facebook etc.

Other community radios are welcome to adapt these announcements and
our web treatment of this at www.sheffieldlive.org to fit your local
context. Its open content.

Best wishes

Steve

Subject line: Support Community Radio! Act Now!
Join all the voices in support of Community Radio!

Sign the Petition!
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/

Tell Your Friends!

On 20 July 2009, in an Open Letter to the Prime Minister,
community radio leaders, media scholars and experts,
including 60 community radio stations, called for a fair
settlement for community radio including a sizeable
increase in the Community Radio Fund.

Now you can add your voice to their call.

Join all the voices today in support of Community Radio!

Sign the Petition Now!
http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/allthevoices/

And Tell Your Friends!

Read the letter:
www.sheffieldlive.org/lettertogordonbrown

For updates follow:
www.twitter.com/allthevoices

Short version, for Twitter, SMS, Facebook etc

Support Community Radio! Sign the Petition! http://bit.ly/rhcBu Tell
Your Friends! More info at http://bit.ly/LVTCp