[cma-l] Community Radio & Digital Radio Switchover

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 21 13:32:07 BST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: "Darren Jenkinson" <darren at prescap.co.uk>

There are a number of issues which I feel need to raised around this statement.

“We are ensuring with radio switchover that community organisations
and small community radio stations”

In my mind these are exactly the same and shouldn’t be distinguished -
a community radio station is a community organisation because it
encourages volunteer involvement and serves a community. Does Siôn get
this?

“which might currently be able to broadcast for only two weeks a year”

Enough said.

“ will inherit the FM spectrum currently taken up by big regional and
national FM broadcasters”

To me this implies that once the “big boys” leave FM it will leave
more space for more community radio stations. Apart from the obvious
argument that DAB is still widely unavailable both geographically and
financially for many it also makes me wonder whether FM in the future
will be what Long Wave is now. With technology and “the norm” being
more DAB focused will that make having a community information service
on FM pointless. We have as much right as anyone to sit on the same
spectrum as mainstream services. How accessible your service is
shouldn’t be based on your cash flow.

The focus of government (in my humble opinion) is to keep FM as is, or
alternatively find a affordable solution for community radio to also
utilise DAB.

“Precisely such small, commercial, local community organisations will
be able to flourish in the digital future in a way that they are
technologically constrained from doing now”

Not entirely sure what this is alluding (perhaps coverage) to but
shows how parts of DCMS still regard Commercial and Community as the
same.

Any of the Birmingham based groups fancy showing him around and
explaining the issues.

Darren Jenkinson
--
Darren Jenkinson