[cma-l] Community Radio & Digital Radio Switchover

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:52:09 BST 2009

well aint that fascinating...

Sion starts so well - but in the last sentence that word 'commercial' pops
up - weirdly even.

Be good to enquire what was meant.

The clue is in that 2nd statement - a new tier of ultra local commercial
radio.  You what?  Where did that come from?  If our commercial comrades are
charging towards conglomeration and other forms of de-localising their
output, who on earth thinks that smaller commercial stations are viable?  If
this is pursued - we'll be fighting for scraps of frequency left over from
the commercial table yet again.

Am I over-reacting?

bests

Phil

2009/7/21 CMA-L <cma-l at commedia.org.uk>

> Oral Answers to Questions - Culture, Media and Sport: Digital Radio
> Switchover (20 Jul 2009)
>
> Siôn Simon (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, DCMSt; Birmingham,
> Erdington, Labour):
>
> "We are ensuring with radio switchover that community organisations
> and small community radio stations, which might currently be able to
> broadcast for only two weeks a year, will inherit the FM spectrum
> currently taken up by big regional and national FM broadcasters.
> Precisely such small, commercial, local community organisations will
> be able to flourish in the digital future in a way that they are
> technologically constrained from doing now."
>

> http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2009-07-20a.561.3&s=%22community+radio%22#g562.0
>

> Siôn Simon (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, DCMSt; Birmingham,
> Erdington, Labour):
>
> "The "Digital Britain" White Paper was clear that analogue radio, via
> FM, will continue beyond 2015. After the digital radio upgrade is
> completed, the vacated FM spectrum will be allocated to community
> radio stations and a new tier of ultra-local commercial radio."
>

> http://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=2009-07-20a.564.0&s=%22community+radio%22#g564.2
>
> \\
>
> Community Media Association
> --
> http://www.commedia.org.uk/
> http://twitter.com/community_media

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net