[cma-l] A role for community media?

Lol Gellor lolgellor at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 9 17:09:24 GMT 2009

Well there's a thought...

What can it be - what will it be - what should it be - my dear
commurades (just made that word up) Roger & Mary (big kisses all round).

I know you've got a pretty good idea after all this time but for anyone
else who still needs encouragement - well here's a view of the Sound
Radio past to inspire or horrify depending on your point of view - we
did a live interview on one of the Latino programmes with Yasser Arafat
when he was under house arrest via brave reporter with mobile phone.
Then later a live Sheik Omar Bakri studio interview on our Jewish World
Today programme (before his exclusion from the UK).

So the challenge amongst other things is - can you be philosophically
robust in your pursuit of hearing not only what you want to hear but
also what you don't want to hear?

For me community radio in the context of radio as we know it - remains
the last chance saloon for any possibility of getting to hear, consider,
absorb and intelligently challenge (where appropriate) alternative views
- views from the mouths of those whose lives tell a story that is almost
entirely an alternative reality to their mainstream depiction.

I don't have a license any more - some might say no bad thing - credit
crunch notwithstanding the money may even get a little better to make
survival more of a sporting chance for some of you - but the real
challenges remain.

On that note happy new year to all
LolX