[cma-l] News sources - what are you doing?

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Thu Feb 26 16:25:26 GMT 2009

Jabbar

There have been a number of messages on this subject recently on the
CMA Discussions.

We at Radio Verulam in St Albans switched over to the new Sky-provided
service yesterday and have already had some positive reactions.
Frankly, it sounds more professional than the old IRN bulletins which
often were poorly presented and (to the intense annoyance of our IT
wizzards) often failed to last the correct time so our automated
systems either crashed into a longer-than-it-should-be bulletin or
gave us dead air for a period of some seconds. So far (OK only 24
hours!) each bulletin has been exactly 2 minutes - great!

Sky News has more correspondents than IRN and are, of course, running
a 24 hour TV news channel and providing bulletins for other
broadcasters, notably Five TV. So they should be capable of providing
a very good service. They have also been running the Sky Radio News
channel for some time now so it is not actually a new service.

As to cost it was also my first thought!  But as I understand it IRN
have contracted out the service to Sky so our existing contracts
stand. Of course they may try to increase the price upon renewal but
then we will all join together to complain won't we!

Clive Glover

Radio Verulam 92.6 FM
St Albans