[cma-l] Actions

Felixstowe Radio info at felixstoweradio.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 18:16:43 BST 2009

We must all remember we have loud voices - we even have our own radio stations, with listeners and supporters.
We now need a concerted policy and campaign. That should be the primary concern of CMA. Nothing is more important.
We are no longer a collection of well-meaning amateurs. Community media is a force to be reckoned with, if it is properly organised.
A campaign needs planning, and that does not mean merely reacting to the latest government policy statements.
We must make demands. There's no mileage in waiting submissively for any government to produce legislation. They will only ever react to pressure, particularly if it involves money.
A strategy is required - and that needs to be built by CMA's Board of Directors, hopefully taking note of what the rest of us peasants suggest.
That strategy should contain statements that have programmes nationally produced that we all agree to broadcast, that are designed to create awareness of our campaign.
The strategy needs to take great care not to overly-criticise but instead to constantly reinforce the message that we are invaluable assets to the community. We provide news (the BBC R4 news now contains no more than three items, often of USA topics) - we are topical, we are concerned with people's real lives, we are not a soap opera.
There are hundreds of success stories - they should also be selectively broadcast. Wythenshawe  were on ITV last night with an auburn-haired Duchess - do we have a national PR campaign that tells the rest of the media how great we are - collectively?
I'l not bore you with creating a campaign in one email - but we must stop being parochial - united we stand (and all that). A few minutes of our air time dealing with a topic that's of vital importance to us all will not jeopardise our local importance.
Come on CMA  - let's hear what the Board of Directors are going to do.
Trevor Lockwood

01394 282123  www.felixstoweradio.co.uk
soon on 107.5 FM
Felixstowe Radio Community Interest Company   Registered Number 6419058
3 Great Eastern Square, Felixstowe IP11 7DY