[cma-l] All The Voices Campaign

Karl Hartland hartland.karl at 209radio.co.uk
Wed Aug 26 16:58:26 BST 2009

Dear Community Radio People,

*This mail is addressed to all on the CMA lists and the 209radio
Programme Teams.

Forward it on until your mouse breaks!*

Today represents just about 1 month to go until the petition to the
Office of The Prime Minister closes as part of the All the Voices
campaign and, quite nicely, the number of signatures hit 2,000 just
about an hour ago.

This is great, it really, really is.

But we need more, much more.

As has been pointed out there are 150-200 stations, 10,000 people,
perhaps up to 10 million listeners across the UK.

Such power! Let's use it.

This is about more than just the Community Radio Fund, it's about
raising our profile and highlighting our worth and it won't stop after
the petition is done with, it can't. But the CRF is a good place to start.

The next 4 weeks or so now represents the crucial time- we have to get
organised, we have to push it.

Steve Buckley got a great piece in this week's Guardian and we have to
capitalise on that now, we have to take it to the airwaves.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/aug/24/community-radio-funding-crisis

Programme-makers, other volunteers, staff and trustees alike have to
contribute to the campaign.

If you haven't yet signed it then please do so and get EVERYONE you know
to do so too.

If you create community radio content, this is your chance to shine.

Please find attached a new version of the campaign guidance for
programme makers recently sent out by the CMA; we at 209radio have had a
go at making it more practically useful with lists of what you can do
and some ideas as to how you can go about it.

I do this with the blessing the of the CMA office.

Let's do some maths. If we say there are 150 stations at the moment,
each with an average of 150 members, that's 22,500 signatures.

If each of those people get 5 others they know to sign, that's 135,000!

If we say there are an average of 30 programmes per station and they
each get 10 people to sign that's a staggering 180,000 signatures in
total!! I think I'm being conservative here to be honest (209 has 53,
just had a look at Bradford and stopped counting past 40) but it has to
be translated into reality by action! ACTION I TELL YOU!!!

If we get anywhere close to that, this campaign will be very hard to
ignore to say the least! Want to be part of that?

Let's go!

K Hartland

--
Karl Hartland
209radio Station Manager

105 FM in the Cambridge City Area
http://209radio.co.uk everywhere else!

Citylife House
Sturton Street
Cambridge
CB1 2QF

01223 488418
07968 898254

209radio is a Registered Charity in England, No. 1124610,
and a Company Limited by Guarantee, No. 5585527

This email and its attachments may be confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of 209radio Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this email and its attachments, you must take no action based upon them, nor must you copy or show them to anyone.