[cma-l] National Community Radio Day / Week

Michael Fryer michael_fryer at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 19 15:25:22 BST 2008

A Community Radio Week is something that Val and I have been trying to
get going for the last two or three years.  At The CMA AGM in London in
2006 lack of money was the reason given for not promoting a Community
Radio Week.  We didn’t get much positive response either from the piece
in 'Airflash'.

We hope now people will work together to achieve national recognition.
Most members of the general public and grant-awarding bodies do not
understand what community radio is.  It’s usually confused with radio
hams, hospital radio or commercial radio.

If community radio participants cooperate we can raise the profile of
this section of broadcasting.  This will have lots of positive benefits.
  The most obvious is that fund-raising may become easier.

At the moment there is very limited contact between stations.  Working
together, sharing information, overcoming common problems and swapping
programmes can only strengthen individual stations and improve their
role within their own communities.

Perhaps the BBC may help in promoting the Community Radio Week under the
BBC/CMA working together agreement.

Regards,
Michael Fryer
07917 694 588