[cma-l] Royalty payments

Trevor Lockwood info at felixstoweradio.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 11:15:10 GMT 2008

This discussion is important, and perhaps we have a real opportunity for
change.

We provide support for emerging musicians, but how many songwriters,
musicians and publishers understand the system of IPI numbers, or
ISWC/ISRC or the nightmare of contractual pitfalls they face?

Does CMA, by which I mean the membership, perhaps through its board of
directors, have an obligation to ensure that our volunteers, many of
whom are struggling young musicians, get a just reward for their efforts
- by at least giving them some understanding of the system?

We need to closely examine the sampling systems used by PPL and
MCPS-PRS, VPL let alone ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and all the rest in this
confusing global world. At present it would appear to be biased towards
the larger producers. The AP1, AP2A, AP2 schemes are further evidence of
weighting towards the already successful with MCPS charging publishers
three times as much to collect for AP2 as from the bigger boys.

At each stage the small guys lose out. The excuse often used is cost of
collection. Perhaps it's time we looked at how we can help, by
collecting the cash ourselves, and paying our musicians ourselves.

We provide invaluable platforms for the music industry. An industry
whose giants are struggling to maintain a stranglehold. We provide an
alternative. Our volunteers and our listeners are at the heart of
today's music industry and we have an obilgation to ensure that they get
just compensation. Failure to do so will mean we remain comfortably
playing games, in a cosy club that likes esoteric emergence but does
nothing to help.

There is opportunity for community stations, for the whole movement. We
are increasingly important. Our playlists are extensive, not restricted
like those found at the BBC and commercial stations. Let's explore how
we can help the musicians in those lists gain just rewards.

I'm just waking up to reality. Our little station must also become a
registered publisher, after all the programmes on our podcast/listen
again facility are all home produced, then given away, for nothing.
After that we need to create a system that ensures little producers get
a proper share of the rewards, and are not just thrown the scraps left
in the black box once all the big boys have filled their pockets.

Am I talking revolution here? Do we have the first signs of the worm
turning? Will anyone else pick up the flag and walk beside me? Forward
into battle!

Trevor Lockwood
--
http://www.felixstoweradio.co.uk
Felixstowe Radio Community Interest Company