[cma-l] Supporting Skills And Enhancing Employment

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Nov 13 14:45:38 GMT 2008

Up to £27 million of European Social Fund (ESF) cash is up for grabs
for groups in England to carry out projects that increase skills and
boost job opportunities in disadvantaged areas.

Employment Minister Tony McNulty launched the Innovative and
Transnational Projects scheme as part of the Government's ongoing
efforts to help people retrain and find work in tough economic
circumstances.

Funding will be targeted at projects which fit in with one of the
following six key themes:

- Active inclusion - helping people from disadvantaged and hard to
reach groups find employment.
- Engaging with employers - working with business to ensure their
staff have the appropriate skills.
- ICT and the digital divide - training to increase computer and
ICT skills and awareness.
- Meeting new challenges – demographic changes - helping older
people develop new skills.
- Meeting new challenges – skills for climate change and
sustainable development - training for jobs in the expanding "green"
industries.
- Social enterprise - training and support to set up and run
not-for-profit organisations.

In an attempt to foster international cooperation, and to test whether
successful initiatives from abroad can be implemented in England, all
successful projects must include at least one partner from another EU
Member State.

Three projects (four in London) in each of the nine English regions -
plus Merseyside, South Yorkshire and Cornwall - will be funded for a
three-year period. Successful groups are expected to match fund at
least 50% of the total project costs from other sources.

Urging groups to bid for support, Mr McNulty said:

"At a time when we are facing global economic challenges it is
essential that we make sure everyone has the right skills for the
vacancies which exist and that employers are looking to fill.

"This initiative will help break down barriers that prevent people
achieving their potential, and tackle some of the biggest challenges
facing our society. It will boost the support we offer to unemployed
and disadvantaged people to improve their skills and return to work."

For more information about the funding and to make an application
prior to the 17 December closing date, visit:

http://www.esf.gov.uk/innovation_transnationality/