[cma-l] DCMS Consultation on Community Radio

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri May 30 17:45:06 BST 2008

Dear Marilyn

Many thanks for getting back to me and taking the time to look at the
form on this page:

http://consult.commedia.org.uk

I'm no political strategist, and perhaps a CMA Council Member would
like to join this discussion, but I understand this to be the DCMS
Consultation Paper on Community Radio.  Unfortunately the CMA has not
set the parameters of the consultation on this occasion - though we
will continue to lobby as equally for television as for radio.  Had
this been the CMA's Consultation Paper on Community Media then it
would have been framed appropriately.

The two questions to which you refer have been excised directly from
the DCMS consultation document, and have not been written or set by
ourselves.  I hoped, by isolating these two questions, it would make
it clearer for people to respond to the 'meat' for which DCMS seek
answers since the two questions are buried in a dozen pages of
close-typed text:

1. Do you agree that the DCMS allocation of funding via Ofcom's
Community Radio Fund should continue to be reserved to support core
costs?

2. Do you agree that DCMS should retain a portion of the Community
Radio Fund to provide direct funding to support wider sectoral
development and sustainability projects?

Nonetheless despite the conceptual limitations of the questions as
they have been posited by DCMS, we are indeed actively campaigning for
an inclusive Community Media Fund to encompass both television as well
as radio - I thought that the text on this page makes this clear:

http://consult.commedia.org.uk/

Quote:

"Indeed our vision is for a multi-million pound Community Media Fund
to ensure that the widest cross-section of voices across the UK are
encouraged and supported on community radio, TV and online!"

I believe that Jaqui will be posting to this list, or to the CMA
website, the CMA's submission to the DCMS Consultation Paper on
Community Radio in the next few days - only 1 week to go, folks! -
wherein the CMA will again be arguing for more funding and support for
local and community television and radio, and making an eloquent case
for the the social benefits of so doing.  I hope that you will support
us in this.

With best regards for the weekend

Bill
--