[cma-l] DCMS Consultation on Community Radio

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri May 30 15:41:47 BST 2008

Dear Friends

The CMA will be pushing hard over the next two years to persuade the
Government that the Community Radio Fund needs to be significantly
increased in the next Comprehensive Spending Review - indeed our
vision is for a multi-million pound Community Media Fund.

We will also work with the other political parties to try to persuade
them of the value created by community radio and the need to increase
the fund should they come to power.

The DCMS Consultation on Community Radio examines the possibility of
using a small part of the Community Radio Fund to support the CMA's
work in sector development to create a fairer and more sustainable
future for community media.

We need you to submit you ideas, thoughts and feedback to DCMS before
the deadline of 6th June (*only one week to go*) using this simple
online form:

http://consult.commedia.org.uk/

This is a key chance for the sector to access some core funding to
support the CMA's strategic work - so we need all your responses in as
soon as possible!

We've cut through the verbiage and extracted the two key questions
that need your answers:

1. Do you agree that the DCMS allocation of funding via Ofcom's
Community Radio Fund should continue to be reserved to support core
costs?

2. Do you agree that DCMS should retain a portion of the Community
Radio Fund to provide direct funding to support wider sectoral
development and sustainability projects?

- Your responses may be published by DCMS. Further information on
privacy and the consultation available here: http://tinyurl.com/58fkkx
- Full consultation document (PDF, 117kb) here: http://tinyurl.com/58yy5g
- Your form response will be sent to Department of Culture Media and
Sport and the Community Media Association

So again, please complete our easy-to-use form. Just enter your name
and email address, and the community station you represent (if
applicable). Complete the two questions and hit submit. A copy of your
message will automatically be emailed to DCMS, a copy for yourself and
also a copy for the CMA.

http://consult.commedia.org.uk/

Many thanks and have a great weekend

Bill Best