[cma-l] Audio hosting

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu May 22 14:01:23 BST 2008

> Does anyone know of an AUDIO equivalent of YouTube. Or alternatively are
> there any cheap webhosts that are low on features but high on storage
> space where we could store loads of media files and run the websites
> elsewhere.

We use hostgator.com for bulk storage. 600Gb storage and 6Tb/month transfer
limits for £4 per month. They also offer 1Tb storage and unlimited transfer
for about £7/month. Includes FTP, email and the full range of server side
support you might expect.

But buyer beware: I have heard some horror stories that almost all providers
of huge space/transfer limits actually bump you off or insist on transfer to
a more expensive account if you have the temerity to use as much as they
offer. Haven't had this problem yet with hostgator, but I have seen it
reported.

And note the small print of many many providers prohibits the streaming of
MP3 files (and some not just live streaming of them, but even their
storage). Often this restriction is well buried in the terms and conditions.

It has been very handy to have a remote store for a lot of material that I
can access if needed from anywhere in the world!

Alex
Two Lochs Radio