[cma-l] TV Digital Switchover - DCMS Response

Shawn Sobers shawn.sobers at uwe.ac.uk
Fri May 2 13:01:07 BST 2008

Hi

This morning I received a reply from Kerry McCarthy my local MP
regarding our lobbying to get MP's to sign the early day motion on ring
fencing a channel on the digital spectrum for local/community programming.

With her response she enclosed a letter from the DCMS regarding my
request.  I don't know if the DCMS letter is a standard one that they
send out to everyone, that you will also have had.  It's one and a half
sides of A4, but the last paragraph sums it up totally!

"In their report on Public Service Content, published on 15 November,
the Culture, Media and Sports Select Committee said that while they see
some value in local content, they are not convinced of the need to
intervene to support local TV, particularly by giving away spectrum for
broadcasting on digital terrestrial television.  I hope this information
is useful to you.  Best Wishes, Andy Burnham"

I know none of this is new news to any of you, but I found it perversely
reassuring to see the battle lines so clearly laid out in black & white.
Thanks a bunch Andy.

;-)