[cma-l] Digital Radio Working Group - we need your views!

Alan Coote alan.coote at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 14 23:20:11 GMT 2008

Hi Jaqui,

I think it's imperative that we find a more suitable primary digital medium
than DAB or even DAB+. I couldn't agree more that DAB is not a viable
platform for Community Radio, but a vacant FM band of commercial stations as
you imply, would leave the remaining Community Radio station in a very
precarious position.

If commercial stations where to vacate leaving it largely free for Community
Radio, then there would ultimately be little economic reason to maintain the
band. Ofcom's policy is to maximise revenue from spectrum auctions and it's
probable that this band would make many millions of pounds. The conclusion
therefore is that Community Radio could collapse though lack of other
spectrum and be in a much worse situation than it is now.

Given DABs extremely long gestation period and the continued exodus, it's
clear that commercial broadcasters are increasingly finding it difficult to
justify. Add to this the many other means of transmission, Internet, Digital
TV, Mobile Phone, WiFi, WiMax etc, then the technical costs are a very
significant burden to all commercial broadcasters and impossible for
Community Radio.

The radio manufactures don't have it any better either. They have a
significant problem providing, what you refer to as hybrids receivers,
capable of working across many of the above mediums at a reasonable cost.
Put simply, the more receptions modes a radio has the more it will cost.

This proliferation of technologies is in fact working against Radio at the
moment from all sides, broadcasters, radio manufactures and importantly the
public.

I therefore believe that it is in the interest of all to define a clear
primary medium for radio broadcasting where access is not prohibitive,
radios are inexpensive and the public have a choice of advanced features
from quality stations both community, local and national.

Looking to the future, I suggest that other many countries may have already
taken the lead in evaluating or indeed licensing both FM and AM bands for
dual digital and analogue purposes. It would therefore not be unreasonable
for the UK to follow suit. As has already been mentioned DRM and DRM+ are,
within Europe at least, the most likely candidates.

Regards
Alan Coote
Managing Director
The Bay (Poole)